He didn’t like the sentence so he went for it all.
VIDEO AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE:
The Court of Québec owes its origins to the Québec Act of 1774, which re-established French law in civil matters and confirmed English law in criminal matters for the Province of Québec. At that time, the judicial system consisted of the Court of Common Pleas, circuit courts, a Court of Appeal and the Court of King’s Bench, for criminal cases. (For a historical review of the administration of justice in Québec before 1774, see the website of the Ministry of Justice). Over the centuries, the Québec courts underwent many changes to their organizational structure as well as to the scope of their jurisdiction. The Magistrate’s Court, created in 1869, was renamed the Provincial Court in 1962. The Court of Sessions of the Peace was established in 1908. The first court for children in Québec was created in 1910. It then became the Juvenile Court in 1932 and the Social Welfare Court in 1950. It was later replaced by the Youth Court in 1977. In 1969, the Labour Court was created, with judges from the Provincial Court. In 1973, the Expropriation Tribunal was formed and some of its members were judges of the Provincial Court. The Professions Tribunal was established in 1973.
The Court of Québec was established in 1988, upon the unification of the Provincial Court – whose jurisdiction was mainly civil, the Court of Sessions of the Peace – responsible for criminal cases; and the Youth Court – which had the responsibility of hearing all cases involving minors. In 1988, the Court consisted of two regional sections: one in Montréal and the other in Québec City. Each one had a Civil Division, a Criminal and Penal Division as well as a Youth Division. At that time, the Court also had an Expropriation Division. At the outset, the Court was managed by a Chief Judge, who was assisted in each of the regional sections by a Senior Associate Chief Judge, who in turn benefited from the assistance of Associate Chief Judges (three in Québec City and four in Montréal). Nineteen Coordinating Judges, residing in the towns designated as administrative centers of the main judicial districts of Québec, completed this management team.
In 1995, at the request of the Court, the legislature simplified its organization. The regional sections were abolished and the responsibilities of the Senior Associate Chief Judge and the Associate Chief Judges were redefined. To coordinate the Court’s activities throughout its territory, ten Coordinating Judges were appointed. In some regions, the Coordinating Judge was assisted by one or more Associate Coordinating Judges responsible for the coordination of one of the divisions. In 1998, upon the creation of the Administrative Tribunal of Québec, the Expropriation Division of the Court of Québec was abolished. Then in 2002, the Labour Court was replaced by the Québec Labour Relations Board (Commission des relations du travail). From then on, only penal matters of original jurisdiction, arising from offences under the Labour Code, came under the jurisdiction of the Court of Québec’s Criminal and Penal Division, and only the judges appointed by the Chief Judge had authority to rule upon these matters.
In 2005, as a result of decisions made by higher courts about the status of a “judge with limited jurisdiction,” the Courts of Justice Act was amended to allow the appointment of Justices of the Peace. In addition to the six Justices of the Peace already in office since June 30, 2004, 27 new Justices were appointed in 2005. In 2012, the Courts of Justice Act was amended to increase the number of judges at the Court of Québec from 270 to 290, to add four Associate Coordinating Judge positions, and to create a new position of Justice responsible for Presiding Justices of the Peace. In 2012 and 2015, six presiding justices of the peace positions were added, bringing their number to 39.